Monday, June 8, 2020

Hope in Christs' Return - Chapter Thirty

Hope In Christs’ Return

While we wait for the blessed hope—
the glorious appearing of our great
God and Savior, Jesus Christ…

Titus 2:13

More than fifty years ago, preparing for wedding bells and looking forward to life with my husband occupied most of my thoughts. I waited for the day we would walk down the aisle and say, “I do!” Bridal showers, dress fittings, invitations, caterers, music, flowers, and wedding cake engaged me both emotionally and physically. And while friends and family flocked to my side to assist in preparation, the one thing I longed for was to walk down the aisle, a bride, and be with my groom.

During the Vietnam War era, separated for thirteen months as he served our nation in South Korea, we had no internet; social media, email, or skype. We had no telephone communication. Letters found their way back and forth across 6500 miles of land and sea as I yearned to hear his voice and for the day he would return. The longer he was gone, the greater my longing. A half century later, I continue to look forward to seeing him pull in the driveway and walk up the steps. I wait for his kiss and question, “Did you have a good day?”

Perhaps you too have experienced waiting to see someone and longing to be in his/her presence. Over the years, I have noticed a similarity between my thirteen-month wait for my husband’s return, and my growing anticipation for the return of my Savior. Do you feel it? Some days I look toward the heavens and wait in anticipation as my heart cries out, “It is time, Lord!” How strange to look forward to the return of the One my physical eyes have not yet seen.

So for now, as the Bride of Christ longing for the return of the Bridegroom, we must wait for the glorious appearing of Jesus Christ. And while we wait, anticipate, look forward to His return, we have things to do. Wait is a verb—it shows action. Waiting for Christs’ return does not indicate we should sit and do nothing. While you linger here, you are called to serve, attend to, and minister to the needs of those whom our Lord places along your journey. I must do the same. Mark 10:45 tells us why, “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

The Apostle Paul’s letter to Titus repeatedly emphasizes “loving and doing and teaching what is good.” (NIV Study Bible Intro to Titus) I would stress that, as the Bride of Christ, we can do no less “While we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.”

So let us keep our Wedding Garments clean and remember the words of the Apostle Paul to Timothy, “Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.” (2 Timothy 4:8) And then we will feast as we sit down at the Wedding Supper, “…Blessed are those who are invited to the Wedding Supper of the Lamb.” (Revelation 19:9)

Hope for Daily Living

Do you live in excited expectation for the return of Christ? Why or why not?

Read Titus chapter two. How can you apply Paul’s exhortation to Titus in your life? Make a list.

Read Revelation 19:5-9. Write verses 7-9.

Do you know, understand, and believe that you will be seated at the Wedding Supper with Christ? If you are not certain, please prayerfully read the Scriptures found on page 223. It would also be wise to speak with your pastor and/or the pastor of a Bible believing/teaching church.

If you have already received Christ as Savior, and/or you have never written down your testimony, write it here. This will enable you to be prepared to share it with others. “But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.” (1 Peter 3: 15)

Heavenly Father,
as I anxiously await the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, I am excited to live life in the here and now, serving You and ministering in the Name of Jesus. Help me to walk in love, humility, and peace among my fellow man. Make me aware of those around me who do not know Christ. Give me the wisdom and courage to “fear not” in the face of anxiety and uncertainty. May I stand strong for You in the face of adversity. Help me temper my speech with the fruit of the Spirit. Help me to be bold when the situation calls for boldness and meek when the situation calls for quiet strength. Above all, help me to always be willing to stand firm for the gospel of Jesus Christ—no matter the consequences. While I wait, help me be an effective witness to those who do not know Christ.

“He who testified to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen. Come Lord Jesus. The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God’s people. Amen.” (Revelation 22:20-21)

©Joyce Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment