Thursday, May 30, 2013

Jesus - The One and Only Way


Excerpt from “Road Signs for Living”

Jesus Answered, I am the way and the
truth and the life. No one comes to the
Father except through me. If you really
knew me, you would know my Father
as well. From now on, you do know
him and have seen him.
                       John 14:6-7 NIV
    
      Have you ever been driving through a city or town and realized that the car in front of you turned left on the street that had a sign pointing right and reading ONE WAY? Have you ever taken that left turn when you should have gone right? Did you realize it? What was your first reaction? Mine was, “oops”. Then I worried about oncoming traffic. Fortunately, there wasn’t any. Then I worried about the officer who would haul me off to jail. “But officer, I was only going one way,” popped into my mind. I decided an officer probably had heard that one before, and I would do well to keep my mouth closed!

    Maybe this time I wouldn’t get a ticket. After all, this street had been a two-way street all my life. Why had they suddenly decided to make it one way? It was fine the way it was. Now in order to get to the library I had to take a different route. In order to get to the bank I had to change direction. In order to get home from church I had to go two blocks over before I could turn toward the main street in town and change direction. Yikes! What a mess.

      I liked it the old way. I always like it the old way. I don’t like change. I’m a creature of habit. I’m not adventurous by nature and when I get comfortable with something, I don’t want anyone to come along and mess it up. If it’s working fine, leave it alone.

     Can you imagine how the disciples must have felt when Jesus began telling them that after all they had been through together there was going to be a big change? He was leaving them! I am sure the recorded words in John are only a microscopic version of the actual conversations between His disciples and Christ. Do not be troubled. Trust in God. Trust in me. I’m going to prepare a mansion for you. Then I am coming back to get you and you are going with Me. That may have made some sense, but imagine their surprise at the next statement.

      Verse four reveals the shocking words of Christ as He explained, “You know the way to the place where I am going.” I can visualize each of their heads turning as they shrugged their shoulders. I can see a quizzical look on each face as precious Thomas, emboldened to speak up, asked the question that they were probably all thinking. Verse five gives us insight into their confusion, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

      For those who think there are many ways to heaven, the answer Christ gave to Thomas’ question should dispel all doubt. John 14:6 records Christ’s reply, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” And verse seven continues, “If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

      Wow! “No one comes to the Father except through me.” No one! Today, many argue that this way is too narrow. They contend that there are many ways to God. We see that philosophy throughout the world religions. But the record is clear. There is a One Way sign pointing us to the Father and His name is Jesus. Follow Him alone!


©JP 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment