Saturday, January 19, 2013

God's Perfect Timing


God’s Perfect Timing

 
“In his heart a man plans his course,
but the LORD determines his steps.”
Proverbs 16:9

 
            A few years ago, as I visited with a friend who appeared to be losing her five-year battle with cancer, we sat and discussed the things of God and how we had seen Him work throughout each of our lives. One of the things we talked about, the intricacies of God’s perfect timing, caused us to remember some of the good results from circumstances in each of our lives when our hearts feared that no good thing could come. We wondered if anything good could possibly come from Janet’s five years of suffering.

            During our conversation, she asked me to read the day’s selection from the devotional book, Streams in the Desert. As I opened the book to November 17, the first sentence jumped off the page. “God’s timing is not ours to command.” The lump in my throat blocked these words of Charles H. Spurgeon. Finally, and with tears streaming down my cheeks, I read aloud. Like me, Janet swallowed hard realizing that what was written over a century before was in God’s perfect timing for the two of us on that specific day.

            The steps the LORD determined for Janet were not the life-plans she had made. Her plans included health and long life, watching grandchildren grow and enjoying the love of her family for many years. God chose a different plan. A few days after our visit, Janet left her earth-bound body and arrived on the shores of heaven—pain free.

            What about you? Has God interrupted your life with His plans—His timing? Are you confused or disheartened? Are you wondering what good can come from your circumstances?

            I do not have the answers to all of our questions, but I do know that God’s plans are not to harm His child but to give hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11) My plans for living include a long life on this earth. If that does not happen, like my friend Janet, my hope and future is in my heavenly home with my Father. Either way, I am secure in knowing that God has determined my steps.

            John 3:16 is the foundation stone of my faith. Hopefully, you too are secure in the knowledge that “For God so loved the world…" includes you. Believe and trust in God’s perfect timing.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment