Sunday, July 8, 2018

Refreshing Hope

O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you, 
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
                                     Psalm 63:1  NIV


Living in South Texas I am familiar with months of hot dry weather and landscape that is weary from the lack of refreshing rain.  In the hot summer months the local meteorologists may predict a slight chance of rain, raising the hope of cattle ranchers, farmers, and citizens who long for the dust to be washed from the trees. However, forecast and reality often collide leaving nothing but dashed hope and continued longing for renewal. In years of true drought, prayers for rain rise up.


 Life has taught me that my soul can also experience drought; times when the busyness of “doing” for God interferes with my “being” with God. When that happens, it is not long before my soul feels barren and dry, and I begin to wonder why God seems distant. Have you had that experience? If I am not careful, I will then begin to live in past journeys with God and past victories for God— only remembering when.

Then it happens! A loving, merciful, gracious God reminds me He is near; watching, waiting, calling me back to the throne room; drawing me back to His Word. It is there He reminds me that during the barren dry times of life, my soul thirsts for Him, and His love is better than life. He encourages me to remember He is my help and the reason I sing, and He cleanses my heart with His springs of living water.

Are you in the midst of spiritual drought? I have good news. There is refreshing hope waiting for you in the presence of the Father. No fancy words required. A humble heart will do.


© Joyce Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment