Monday, February 13, 2017

Is It Possible To Be A Percentage Christian?

Jesus answered, “I am the Way, the Truth
and the Life. No one comes to the Father
except through me…”
John 14:6 NIV

I belong to a Facebook page for writers, and recently had an interesting encounter which led me to the question posed to you today. Is it possible to be a percentage Christian?

One of the writers on the Facebook page lost a friend in death. He opened his comments with, “I’m not really 100% Christian, but this struck me due to my friend’s passing the other day.” He posted a story which ended with these words:

“I know little of what is on the other side of death, but I do know one
thing…I know my Master is there and that is enough.”

What followed was an interesting conversation between what appeared to be mostly non-Christians. The next person asked what I believe may be the most profound question I have heard in a while “Is it possible to be a percentage Christian?”

Wow! I watched the conversation for a minute and decided I had been given an opportunity to tell them about Jesus so I added the following:

“To answer your question, No, you cannot be a percentage Christian. You either are or you aren’t and the thing that defines that you are is believing that Jesus Christ is the One and Only virgin born son of the One and Only true God, that He lived a sinless life, was crucified for the sin of the world, buried and rose again on the third day and is now seated next to His Father God in Heaven.” “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life and no one comes to the Father but by me!” John 14:6

After posting the gospel in a nutshell, I sat back and watched the heated argument begin. I was asked to “Purleeze, leave the Gristian propaganda out of this group! It is offensive to many non-gristians, and many atheists.”

I made one more comment stating that I was simply answering the question posted earlier and asking why my Christian viewpoint was so offensive while other comments from those who were non-Christian or atheist were readily accepted. My heart ached as I read the replies. Some defended my right to say what I wanted, others desired to remain offended. And eventually, the site administrator stepped in telling all that it was time to take a step back from the religious debate.

But in all of the conversation, I knew one thing to be true. God had given me an opportunity to share the gospel with a group of non-believers. I did not judge them. That is not my job. I simply stated the truth of the Word of God and prayed that God would plant that seed in someone’s heart.

It is important to remember that Christians are like light bulbs. The only responsibility of a light bulb is to shed light when someone flips on the switch. In much the same way, a Christian has a responsibility to shed the light of the gospel at every given opportunity. A light bulb has no responsibility to see that someone takes advantage of the light—only to shine. As Christians, we cannot make people accept the gospel, but we must shine the light of the truth of God.

To answer the question presented on Facebook, you cannot be a percentage Christian. You are in or out. You are a Christian or not. You believe God or you do not.

I pray that God will give you the opportunity today to shed the light of the gospel of Jesus Christ on someone within your realm of influence and that you will be reminded that we cannot be a percentage Christian.

© Joyce Powell
Repost

No comments:

Post a Comment