Monday, March 21, 2016

One Way

Jesus Answered, I am the way and the
Truth and the life. No one comes to the
Father except through me. If you really
knew me, you would know my Father
as well. From now on, you do know
him and have seen him.
John 14:6-7 NIV

Have you ever been driving through a city or town and realized that the car in front of you turned left onto a street that had a sign pointing that read, “ONE WAY” to the right. Maybe you’ve taken that wrong turn. If so, what was your first reaction? Mine was, “Oops!” Then I worried about oncoming traffic. Fortunately, I didn’t meet any. Whew.

 Next, I worried about the officer who might haul me off to jail for making such a dangerous move. “But officer, I was only going one way,” was the clever retort that popped into my mind. I decided that if I was stopped, I would do well to keep my mouth closed!

I was a little steamed, to tell you the truth. After all, that particular street had been a two-way street for as long as I could remember. Why had the powers that be suddenly decided to make it one way? It was ridiculously inconvenient, frankly. Now in order to get to the library,
I had to take a different route. In order to get to the bank, I would have to change direction. This change added two whole blocks to my trip home from church. Yikes!

What a mess. I liked it the old way. I think I may have previously mentioned that I don’t like change. The truth is, I’m a creature of habit. I’m just not adventurous by nature, and when I get comfortable with something, I don’t want anyone coming along and messing it up. If it’s working fine, leave it alone! Whew! I’m glad I got that off my chest.

Can you imagine how the disciples must have felt when Jesus began telling them, as described in John 14, that after all they had been through together there was going to be a big change? And what a change! He was leaving them!

I am sure the recorded words we have in this chapter of John are only a microscopic version of the actual conversations between Christ and His disciples. “Do not be troubled. Trust in God. Trust in Me. I’m going to prepare a mansion for you. Then I am coming back to get you, and you are going with Me.” That may have made a little sense, but imagine your surprise at the next statement. Verse four:

“You know the way to the place where I am going.”

I can visualize each of their heads turning as they shrugged their shoulders. I can see a quizzical look on each face as precious Thomas, emboldened to speak up, asked the question that they were probably all thinking. 

“Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

For those who think there are many ways to heaven, the answer Christ gave to Thomas’ question should dispel all doubt. 

“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

How much more clear could He be? “No one comes to the Father except through me.” No one! Today, many argue that this way is too narrow. They contend that there are many ways to God. We see that philosophy throughout the world religions.

The Bible teaches that God’s Son Jesus Christ is the head of the church and the only way that you and I will ever live eternally in heaven with God the Father. The moment you and I put our faith and trust in Christ, we immediately become a child of God, by the gift of God’s grace. No one can earn salvation, maintain salvation, or deserve salvation. I believe the Bible teaches we can do nothing to LOSE salvation, but that’s a conversation for another time. The point is, we know the way to the Father, the ONLY way. That way is Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the precious Holy Son of the Living God. Hallelujah!

Romans 10:9-10 tells us:
“That if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.” (NIV)

Ephesians 2:8-9 says:
 “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” (KJV)

Jesus Christ is the ultimate Road Sign (if you will allow me) that points us to the Father! With arms outstretched He is calling, come and follow me! I am the way…the one, the only way!


©Joyce Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment