Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Out of the Mouth


The mouth of the righteous is a
fountain of life.   Proverbs 10:11 NIV  

Wisdom is found on the lips of
the discerning.   Proverbs 10:13 NIV 

The tongue of the righteous is
choice silver.     Proverbs 10:20 NIV 

The lips of the righteous nourish
many.               Proverbs 10:21 NIV
 

     Practical wisdom for godly living is the description my Bible notes give for Solomon’s collection of thoughts in Proverbs 10.
 
     It is interesting to note that the mouth can be a “fountain of life,” the tongue can be “choice silver,” and the lips can “nourish” many.
 
    In this age of vile and ugly words spewed out as a general way of speaking, it is good for us to pause for a moment and dwell on the consequences of our words.
 
     Luke 6:45 tells me that the mouth speaks out of the overflow or the abundance of what is in my heart. Therefore, I have a choice to make. Do I want my mouth to display a fountain of life or be a cesspool of sewage? Do I want my tongue to speak with the beauty found in choice silver or be as dull rusty iron? Do I want my lips to nourish many or leave them malnourished and hungering for good?
 
     Each of us must make our own decision about the words we choose to speak. We are wise if we remember that whatever fills our heart will be displayed as a roadside billboard when it comes out of our mouth!
 
© Joyce Powell
9.23.14

No comments:

Post a Comment