Friday, May 2, 2014

What Do You Want


The king said to me, “What is
it you want?”

         Nehemiah 2:4 NIV 

     “What do you want?” My voice revealed a high level of irritation at the constant interruption as I sought a few minutes of silence. With three young children roaming the house, the pursuit of a few moments alone with God was like being in the poll position at the Indianapolis 500 with thirty plus cars all trying to pass in order to win first place.

     King Artaxerxes asked Nehemiah the same question I asked my child. “What is it you want?” Nehemiah records what happened next. “Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the King.” Nehemiah 2:4-5.

     We find that Nehemiah had established an intimate relationship with God through extended times of prayer. (Nehemiah 1:4-11) Throughout the book of Nehemiah we also find several recorded spontaneous prayers.

     Just like my children, Nehemiah knew where to go when he needed something. Fortunately, for Nehemiah and for us, God never becomes irritated by our constant asking, interruptions or needs.

     Today, you and I have the privilege to kneel before the God of Heaven in the name of the King of Kings. We too have opportunity to build an intimate relationship with the Almighty. We too can seek God’s favor in our circumstances.

     I pray that you and I will never forget the privilege we find in Christ of having intimacy with the Almighty. What do you want? 

© Joyce Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment