Friday, January 31, 2014

Never Orphaned

I will not leave you as orphans;
I will come to you.
                John 14:18  NIV 
 
        My father died in 1983. In 1998 my sister and I sat holding our mother’s hands as she drew her last breath. As if scripted we looked at each other and said, “We are orphans.”  At that moment, it seemed as though someone had reached deep into my inner being and scooped it out. I felt an emptiness that I had never before known.
 
        I was soon reminded, however, of the promise Jesus made when speaking to the disciples about his departure. He promised to ask the Father to give another Counselor; the Holy Spirit. This meant that they would never be alone for the Holy Spirit would not only be with them but live in them. The pain of His departure would be great, but the comfort of His presence would be eternal.
 
        As I look back over the years since my mother’s death, I see time after time when the Holy Spirit of God has brought counseling and comfort to my broken heart. At first, I did not want to be comforted. The loss was greater than I could have imagined. One night my husband commented, “I have lost a part of you, and I don’t know if I will ever get you back.” I realized that was exactly how I felt. I had lost a part of me; a part that I would never regain.
 
        But God’s Holy Spirit continued to work in me. He is God’s great reminder. Every day He reminded me of the blessings in my life; husband, children, family and friends. Every day he pulled me a little closer to the Father until I found myself not only existing but actually enjoying life again. Every day he reminded me that I was not alone.
 
        You may have experienced similar hurts. You may feel orphaned or alone. You may feel as if no one understands and comfort and peace will never again be yours. Let me assure you, Jesus understands. He will come to you.
 
     We may be without father or mother in this life, but in Christ we are never orphaned.
 
© Joyce Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment