Thursday, December 5, 2013

Come Follow Me

"Come follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make
you fishers of men."
                                      Matthew 4:19 NIV

     Sometimes when Jesus calls us to follow Him, He pulls us away from our day jobs and draws us into a world of service and sacrifice. Sometimes He compels us to remain in our day job when we would rather walk away and do some "great" thing for God. Sometimes He requires us to move out of a comfortable place and into a place so foreign that we flounder like a fish washed up on dry land.

     The great thing about obediently following Jesus is that we are never alone to do our own thing. He is always leading and guiding...directing our paths. I have found that although I desire to follow Christ, sometimes I am a little slow being totally obedient. Although I know He is always able to bring to pass the thing He has called me to do, there are times when I still feel unable or not smart enough to follow God's plan. Do you ever find yourself in that place?

     I love the simplicity of Jesus as he instructs Peter and Andrew in this Scripture. His instructions are easily followed. Come! Follow me! The rest is up to Jesus as He tells them, "I will make you fishers of men." If you are obedient, Peter and Andrew, I will do the rest. Those are comforting and exhilarating words.

     So as Christmas quickly approaches and we think about the baby in the manger, let us not forget that He is God, the Almighty in flesh who came to live among us. He is Creator, Sustainer, Protector, Provider and He is Holy, All Powerful and Mighty. He is able to do through us whatever He calls us to do!

     Whatever  God calls you to do, be sure that it will involve people. Our God is all about redeeming sinful man to Himself. The good news is that you and I get to participate in telling the story of Jesus; born in a manger, sacrificed on a cross, risen to heaven and sitting on the edge of His throne waiting for the Father to say Son go get your bride.

     There is no greater Christmas gift than to hear Jesus say, "Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Let's go fishin' for Christmas!
    
 
© Joyce Powell
   

    

No comments:

Post a Comment