Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas Is About Eternity


…He has put eternity into man’s heart…
                         Ecclesiastes 3:11 ESV 

     Before the beginning of time, before Adam and Eve, before Noah and flood or Moses and the Red Sea and before four hundred years when the earth was void of God’s voice, eternity existed. During that span of existence, God’s plan for the redemption of man was formulated. God knew that His creation would need a way back to Him.

     My human thought processes keep me from fully understanding why the Almighty, All Powerful, All Knowing God would create man then allow him to turn his back on the creator. But when I think of my children, I more fully understand.

     I love my children just as you love yours. However, especially as adults, they do not always do things the way that I would prefer. I am sure my parents had the same experience with me. Although they are part of me, they have a free mind and will to make their own choices. But I will never stop loving any of them, and should one of them decide to walk away from the family my heart’s desire would be to welcome him back in love and restoration.

     That is how I see God’s redemption plan. He has provided a way for his erring creation to return to Him and be restored as part of the family. Many have chosen to turn their backs on God and the things of God and walk away. But God’s desire is that none should perish!

     So, into the scene of chaos and darkness, into the world of Roman decadency, and after those four hundred years of heaven’s silence came the sound of a newborn baby crying in the night—the voice of the One who was delivered to earth to fill the God-hole in the hearts of people everywhere.

     Christmas seems to bring out both the best and worst in people. Many are searching to fill the God hole in their hearts by buying gifts for others and themselves or by attending a myriad of celebrations filled with things that have nothing to do with the birth of our Savior. Many try to find meaning in life at the bottom of a bottle or in the use of marijuana, cocaine or other drugs—others simply long to fill the emptiness in their aching heart.

     But God has set eternity in the hearts of man and nothing will fill that God-hole except Jesus. His voice is no longer that of a baby crying in the darkness of a Bethlehem night but the voice of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords extending the call to all who will respond to come! Bring your brokenness, your heartache, your questions and your wondering and lay them at the feet of Jesus. He alone can fill that longing in your heart!

     God is calling you. Don’t miss it. Christmas is about eternity!

© Joyce Powell   

No comments:

Post a Comment