Wednesday, June 5, 2013

An Undivided Heart


Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in
your truth; give me an undivided heart, that
I may fear your name.              Psalm 86:11 

     Although I am neither a seminary graduate nor a Bible scholar, I love the Word of God. I am not satisfied to read the Word and lay my Bible on the table. I desire to know why something was written, to whom it was written, and how I can apply it to my life.

     Therefore, I use many of today’s available tools to enhance my study of God’s Word—encyclopedias, dictionaries, concordances, reliable texts from both Jewish and gentile authors, and most importantly the Bible itself. I know many of you do too. In all of this, I have come to realize that my most valuable asset in understanding God’s Word is prayer.

     That conclusion came through years of asking God why, and how, and when, and what now! As I dug deeper and deeper into the precious truths enumerated from Genesis through Revelation, I knew that my intellect alone was not enough to fully comprehend the Word of God. The intricacies of God’s plan to redeem man seemed beyond my human comprehension. Through prayer, I learned to trust God for the answers.

     Psalm 86, believed by scholars to be a prayer of David, displays the writer’s devoted trust in God. In this Psalm, David petitioned God to listen and answer his requests:

1.   Teach me your way, O LORD.
Why? So I can walk in your truth.
2.   Give me an undivided heart.
Why? That I may fear your name

     After years of study, I can find no higher calling than to know God and serve Him alone with an undivided heart—pure and focused on the truth of His Word.

     When I open my Bible, Jesus walks across the pages of history and right into my heart. He opens my eyes to truth. He opens my mind to wisdom. He opens my heart to love. He heals my brokenness and calls me to follow Him.
 
     Although I am never perfect in my pursuit of God and although I too often get busy with daily living and the tyranny of the urgent, God continues to call me back to His Word where He can teach me His way. As I pursue Him, He pulls me closer and closer, and  the cares of the world slip farther and farther away.
 
     For those moments my heart is truly undivided, and I am grateful!

 
©JP 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment