Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Faith to See


Hebrews 11:1 NIV
“Now faith is being sure of what we hope
for and certain of what we do not see.”

Webster’s dictionary defines faith as unquestioning belief that does not require proof. We practice faith every day. When we see a chair that is designed to hold our weight, we sit down. When we go to bed, we do not ask whether or not it is safe—in faith, we just do it.

Some would argue that unlike the chair or the bed, I cannot see God. I would disagree. Webster’s defines see as the ability to get knowledge or an awareness of through the eyes; perceive visually; look at; view or to visualize as though present; picture. By this definition, we see God daily.

As I walk through my home, familiar sights tell me that a loved one is in the house. I may not immediately see him, but the evidence of his presence is everywhere. I submit that the same is true of God. As you look around, you see clear evidence that He exists and that He is present.

When the sun rises, we see His glory shining through the heavens. At sunset, we watch as He dips His brush and paints the evening sky with peach and gold. We see songbirds and hear them lifting praise to their Creator. We stand amazed as lightening dances across the landscape, and we see evidence of God’s great power. When the oceans roar, we perceive the sound of His voice. Every day, we get knowledge or an awareness of God through our eyes. We see Him.

I am positive that God is alive and well. His face shines through the darkness of my despair. His love wraps around me like a warm blanket on a cold winter morning. His joy fills my heart to overflowing. His majesty and power surround me. Light is His garment, and He pulls the curtain of darkness across the evening sky. The lushness of a green valley is carpet for His feet. His moon marks the changing of seasons. He wants you and me to know him.

One day we will see Him face to face. Until then, we see Him through the world around us. In Jeremiah 29:13, God tells us, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”

The evidence that God is real, alive and well surrounds us. All it takes is faith to see.

©J Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment