Thursday, October 12, 2017

When I Am Afraid


When I am afraid,
I will trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
What can mortal man do to me?
Psalm 56:3-4

In recent weeks, we have witnessed tragedy after tragedy; earthquakes, hurricanes, wildfires, and mass murder. Our nightly news brings headlines of all kinds of tragedy from around our world. Anger and fear permeate news story after news story. If you and I do not proactively fight against it, depression and despair can overtake our thoughts and actions.

Having given my life to God through Christ Jesus I know I am anchored safely between Genesis 1:1, “In the beginning God…” and Revelation 22:20 where Christ tells us, “Yes, I am coming soon.”  God remains in control of all things.

In John 16:33, Jesus tells us, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Many theologians believe that as David penned the words of Psalm 56, he was fleeing from King Saul who wanted to take David’s life. Yet, amid great fear, David trusted God. He understood that no matter what King Saul might do to him, ultimately his life remained safe in the hands of God.

So, it is with you and me. Believer or non-believer. Young or old. Faithful follower of Christ or one who practices casual Christianity. God is sovereign over all life. Do you want peace in the midst of fear? Trust in God through Jesus Christ. Get to know your Creator. As you read His Word, He walks through the pages. Listen!  He still speaks! And in these tumultuous times you and I, like David, can know that when we are afraid, He is trustworthy.

After all, if I am a Child of God, “what can mortal man do to me?”


© Joyce Powell

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Recently read this comforting Psalm! Thank you for this post! Psalms are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nancy. It is always comforting to know that we are not alone in the battle and that God is with us. I too love the Psalms.

    ReplyDelete