Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Called to Hope

This is an excerpt from my new book 
"Words of Hope" (Help for The Hurting Heart)
which will be available mid-September.

I pray also that the eyes
of your heart
may be enlightened
in order that you may
know the hope
to which
He has called you.

Ephesians 1:18a



Decades ago I had a hemorrhage in the retina of my left eye. Unfortunately, by the time I saw the doctor and he diagnosed the problem, it was too late to remedy the situation. He tried blood thinners which only exacerbated my problem and sent me for a short stay in the hospital. 

Over the years, I have hoped that new technology would allow me to have improved vision in that eye. However, I have been told no technology exists to correct my problem. So I continue to see gray splotches through my left eye. My body has compensated for the inadequacies and while going through my daily routine, I rarely notice the issue; reading and depth perception create the most difficult challenges. 

Recently, while reading Ephesians 1:18, the words “eyes of your heart may be enlightened” seemed to jump off the page. I thought about my physical vision and how wonderful it would be to have the injured eye enlightened; no more gray spots. Illuminated. 

In his letter to the church at Ephesus, the Apostle Paul painted a beautiful picture of what happens when you allow Christ to become Lord of your life. His Holy Spirit moves into your heart shining His light that the “eyes of your heart” may be enlightened, informed, made aware, educated, and become grounded in the spiritual things of God. He does this so you may know—possess information, recognize, realize and understand— the hope to which He has called you. 

Once you and I believe Christ for salvation, we are not left to flounder like a fish out of water. Our hope lies in who we are in Christ. God’s Holy Spirit illuminates our heart in order that we may know the hope to which we are called. 

We are justified – declared not guilty of sin
We are sanctified – made holy and acceptable in Jesus Christ
We are righteous – in right standing with God through Christ
We are blessed – with every spiritual blessing
We are forgiven – our sin taken away

We can now come boldly before God’s throne of grace. While we walk this earth, we are in God’s care. When we leave this earth, we will see God face-to-face! He has called you, and he has called me, to know the hope that is found in Christ alone!

So today, let His power work its mighty strength in you so that “the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which He has called you.”


©Joyce Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment