Saturday, April 30, 2016

Rest for the Weary

“Come to me, all you who are weary
and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn
from me, for I am gentle and humble
in heart, and you will find rest for
your souls. For my yoke is easy and
my burden is light.”

Matthew 11: 28-30 NIV

 I do not doubt that Jesus was physically tired and perhaps his soul was weary from teaching his disciples, performing miracles, and dealing with those who refused to repent in spite of His call to come, believe, and live.


In chapter 10 of Matthew, we read that Jesus sent out the twelve Disciples instructing them to go to the “lost sheep of Israel” to preach the kingdom of heaven is near, to heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the leper, drive out demons without the benefit of taking money, clothes, sandals or a staff –a walking stick. He explained those who ministered could expect to be cared for by those to whom they ministered. Unencumbered by the world, they spread the gospel through towns and villages across the landscape. Like sheep among wolves they traversed through acceptance and persecution.

I cannot help but believe that when they grew weary, they remembered the words of Jesus and found strength in the shared yoke and rest as they remembered the gentle humble heart of their Lord.

The instructions Christ gave His disciples in Matthew 11 remain true for you today. Are you weary? Come to Jesus. Is your pathway uncertain? Come to Jesus. Is your burden heavy? Come to Jesus. He shares your burdens making them lighter to carry. He is good and kind and benevolent giving rest for your weary souls.

Hear Christ calling you. Come. Believe. Live. In Christ alone there is rest for the weary.


© Joyce Powell 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment