Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I Will Not Fear


The LORD is on my side; I
will not fear: what can man
do unto me?
       Psalm 118:6 KJV 

     I will never forget my first airplane flight. I was, as we say in the south, scared spitless!  It was an emergency flight as my brother-in-law had finally succumbed to cancer, and my husband and I had to make a fast trip from Texas to Michigan. Since it is a twenty-four hour drive, we decided to fly.

     Fear of the unknown kicked in as soon as we arrived at the airport. But, by the time we boarded the plane; I had calmed myself and thought I was ready. However, as soon as the wheels left the runway my fingernails plunged themselves into my husband’s arm. Every squeak, rattle or slight shake of the plane was an indication that we were going to die.

     By the time we reached the airport and banked for approach to the runway, I was sure that a crash was imminent. My voice was silent but my actions betrayed my fear as my husband continued to pat my arm and explain everything that was happening.

     Once on the ground, I began to wonder how I was going to get back to Texas. I assured myself that it would be with wheels on the ground! But a few days later we were once again in the air and the second trip frightened me a little less than the first.

     That was decades ago, and by now I have flown many times, including over the Atlantic Ocean and enjoy having the window seat from which to photograph and admire God’s handiwork.

     Fear is a natural instinct. Sometimes it is good as it keeps us from walking too close to the edge of a cliff or stops us from pulling out in traffic in front of a speeding vehicle. Fear of legal consequences keeps us from breaking the law, and fear of personal injury causes us to be watchful in dangerous places.

     But fear can be crippling. Fear of the unknown might stop us from enjoying a wonderful adventure. Fear of rejection may cause us to build an emotional wall. Fear of failure may cause us to say no to God as he opens doors of opportunity and calls us to walk down a never-before traveled path.

     If today you are living with fear in any area of your life, remember the words of the Psalmist, “The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?”  
  
© Joyce Powell
 

No comments:

Post a Comment