Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Stand Still and See!


And Moses said unto the people,
Fear ye not, stand still, and see the
salvation of the LORD, which he will
shew to you today…
                  Exodus 14:13   KJV 

I have begun to deliver…Now begin
to conquer and possess…
                 Deuteronomy 2:31 NIV 

     Stand still! Wait! Be patient! Observe! I don’t know about you but at times throughout my life I have tucked those words away in a closet and forgotten how to use them. I am a doer. I see the problem. I determine how to fix it. I attack the problem. To a logical mind that looks like Problem Solving 101. But, in that scenario, there is a problem with my problem solving—I see, I determine, I attack.

     In the first four chapters of Deuteronomy, Moses is recounting the mighty acts of God on behalf of the nation of Israel. In chapter two he is reminding the nation that God defeated the King of Heshbon. The Israelites may have been the ones who struck him down, but God hand delivered to Israel the King and his armies.

     In chapter fourteen of Exodus, the Israelites were on the run from Pharaoh and his army. To put it mildly, they were fearful. I think it would be safe to say they were scared spitless—grumbling and complaining to Moses that they would have been better off to serve the Egyptians than to die in the desert. But Moses told them to stand still and see what the LORD would do.

     They did not have a long wait before the LORD told Moses to move on, stretch his hand over the sea and divide the waters, and send the Israelites across on dry land. God’s plan worked! Because Moses listened to God, the nation of Israel, well over one million people, took part in a miraculous escape from the Egyptians.

     God continues to speak to His children today. Because I do not see fire on the mountain or clouds of protection leading me along my path, I may be temporarily tempted to forget God is the leader. I am the follower. Do you ever forget that?

    I recently read a quote by Alexander Maclaren that reminded me of our great God’s ability to see the situation, determine a plan and use me to attack the problem for His glory:

     “Each of us may be sure that if God sends us over rocky paths, He will provide us with sturdy shoes. He will never send us on any journey without equipping us well.”

     Once again I am reminded that when a problem arises, my plan of action should revolve around three things:

1.   Wait on the LORD
2.   Remember the great things He has already done in my life
3.   Follow His leading

    Stand still! Wait! Be patient! Observe! …and see the salvation of the LORD. Now that sounds like a great plan to me!

 

©JP 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment