Thursday, June 6, 2013

Don't Forget the Seasoning

You (Christians) are the salt of the earth.
But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it
be made salty again? It is no longer good
for anything, except to be thrown out
and trampled by men.
                               Matthew 5:13  NIV

        Today I packed my husband a delicious lunch; pork chops, baked potato, salad, and dessert. Later I went into the kitchen and there on the countertop lay the package of salt and pepper that always goes into his lunch bag. I worked hard to prepare his meal, but had forgotten the seasoning that brings out the flavor in the food. I asked the Lord to provide salt and pepper for him in the lunchroom at work.

        I thought about living life as one of God’s children and how it can be like that lunch with no seasoning. Scripture says that we are the salt of the earth. Salt adds flavor and preserves. However, the salt of the ancient world could become tasteless and useless in certain adverse conditions. It could loose its saltiness; its purpose rendered worthless.

        I questioned my life. Am I a saltshaker sprinkling life preserving flavor as I go about my daily routine? Am I so wrapped up in getting the job done that I forget the salt? Is my life a series of ups and downs depending upon whether conditions are good or adverse? What about you?        

        Let us remember that our life in Christ should be pure; not contaminated with things of this world that would cause us to become ineffective.  Doing for Christ is not as important as being in Christ. Without holy living in Christ we are sprinkling worthlessness.

        If we are not salt to those around us, the Father will provide someone else. I do not want that to happen. I want to be that salt. How about you? Let us then go forward following the words of Christ in Matthew 28:19 to “Go ye therefore,” (KJV) and I would add, don’t forget the seasoning.

©JP 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment