Friday, May 3, 2013

Matching Mug Shots


I want to know Christ and the power of his
resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in
His sufferings, becoming like him in his death.
                                    Philippians 3:10

     As I watched the morning news, I viewed a video of a DWI arrest. The man being arrested was the husband of a famous Hollywood actress. She showed her disapproval to the arresting officer by yelling at him, claiming her rights as an American citizen to ask about her husband’s arrest. In order to continue doing his job, and after warnings to stay back, the office finally put her in handcuffs and into the police car. Her comment to him; “Do you know who I am? Well, you are about to!”

     Human nature often takes over under great stress. We are not afraid to “name drop” if we think someone can help or get us out of trouble. In the aforementioned incident, the starlet tried to drop her own name—to no avail. The officer did not care about her name. He did his job. Now she and her husband have matching mug shots to hang on their family room wall.

     Unfortunately, in our culture, too many desire to be just like a Hollywood star. The rich and famous have become the all-knowing, all-seeing all-wise according to our American media. Too many consider them experts when questioned about health, politics, money, religion or any other subject. Our populace has begun to think and act like Hollywood. We now see the effects of that mindset.

     While we cannot totally blame the downfall of morals in our society on the Hollywood jetsetters, they certainly continue to contribute with a proud display of drug and alcohol abuse, sexual immorality and a level of pride and arrogance that rivals Babylon. But, as a follower of Christ, what is my responsibility in this age of Babylon reborn?

     My responsibility today remains the same as that of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego when thrown into the fiery furnace or Daniel when thrown into the lion’s den. My responsibility today remains the same as that of Stephen as the stones of his accusers mangled his body. My responsibility today remains the same as the apostle Paul as he laid his head on the executioner’s block and the sword fell.

     My responsibility today remains to know Christ, the power of His resurrection, the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings, becoming like Him in my life and in death. In the world’s eyes, it is not a life of glamour and privilege. In my eyes, it is the most beautiful and privileged life I can live. Considered a criminal, (John 18:30) Christ gave His life to redeem mankind. So, I choose to follow Him, do my best to think like Him, act like Him and show grace like Him—to be like Him in life and death.

     Unlike the unflattering matching mug shots of our Hollywood couple, and unlike the starlet who supposed the officer should know her name, I hope that when people see me, though they may never remember my name, they remember the reflection of Christ in me and His portrait of grace.

 

JP 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment