Friday, April 5, 2013

God's Glory on Display


Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor
or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all
his splendor was dressed like one of these.
                                     Luke 12:27 NIV

       As a Texan, it is time for me to brag about the glory of the Lord displayed across our beautiful state. Spring is here. That means Bluebonnets and other wildflowers. They are popping up everywhere—blue, yellow, purple, pink, orange, red, white and every shade and combination of said colors. Some of them are bright and eye catching. Some hide beneath the shelter of others and you must look closely to see the individual flowers—God’s glory on display!

     Because of the lack of the appropriate amounts of rain, I wondered if we would see any wildflowers this spring. My camera and I have a long-standing love affair with this time of year. Life happens! The dreaded grays and browns of winter disappear into forest green, azure blue and all the colors in the Crayola box. It is the perfect season to snap a photo of God’s glory on display!

     One evening I remarked to a friend about the beauty of the sunset. He answered, “Thank you. My Father made that.” I have never forgotten those words. Spring is a special reminder that my Father created the earth and all that is in it. Creation shouts God’s glory from field to field, over the hills, through the valleys and across the plains. Between the prickly pear cactus and from underneath the limestone boulders, God’s glory is on display.

     So, this morning, as my heart sings, I leave you with a verse of a beloved old church hymn:
          
     For the Beauty of the earth
     For the glory of the skies
     For the love which from our birth
     Over and around us lies
     Lord of all, to Thee we raise
     This, our hymn of grateful praise              (text and music Pierpoint and Kocher)

     Don’t forget to look around. Wherever you are, God’s glory is on display.

No comments:

Post a Comment