Monday, March 4, 2013

Smile - God Loves You!


Several years ago, I lost a friend to ovarian cancer. I wrote this the day after I received
the news that her passing was emminent. Today, God reminded me once again to smile. If you need hope, encouragement, love, trust in Jesus and know that our Heavenly Father loves you.
 
John 16:27  NIV
 
“The Father himself loves you because you
have loved me and have believed that I
came from God.”

     This morning, as I threw my legs over the side of the bed and stood, I realized that I needed to feel loved today. Yesterday I learned my friend, battling cancer for five years, has only a couple of days to live. However, according to her, she is waiting for an out-of-state child to arrive in order to say goodbye. Even though the news was expected, the sorrow is overwhelming. I miss her already.

     While making coffee, I reached into the cabinet and randomly grabbed a coffee cup. When I sat it on the countertop, I could not keep myself from smiling. The cup, given to me by a friend years ago and painted with pictures of God’s little creatures— raccoons, birds, rabbits— reads “Smile…God loves you!”

     Relief flooded over me like a warm shower after being drenched by a freezing rain. My stooped shoulders straightened and the countenance of my heart turned from sadness to joy. I could feel my face muscles lift and I knew that my teeth were showing between my lips. Smile…God loves you!

     Even though I have never doubted God’s love for me, there have been times when I needed reminding. A pat on the head from my Father whispering I love you child always seems to come at just the right time. I’m sure you too have had that experience.

     Maybe you received a note which read, thinking about you. Perhaps a friend stopped by with a word of encouragement not knowing how desperately you needed to hear those words on that day. Whatever your scenario, if you are God’s child, you can rest assured that it was a pat on the head hand delivered from the Father with a reminder; child, I’m here and I love you.

     So whatever your circumstances today, tell the Father that you need to feel loved. His specialty is love and he shows it at unexpected times and in unexpected ways. It’s always uniquely hand delivered. Watch for it! Expect it! In my case today, it was in that fifteen year old coffee cup given by my friend that reads, Smile, God loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment