Thursday, March 14, 2013

LORD-Show Me Your Glory


And the LORD said to Moses, “I will do the
very thing you have asked, because I am
pleased with you and I know you by name.”
Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.”
                                    Exodus 33:17-18  NIV 

     Exodus thirty-three not only encapsulates the possibility but the reality of having an intimate loving relationship with a Holy God.  Moses asked God to reveal himself in such a way that “I may know you”. He reminded God that Israel is His people.  He questioned God, “How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us?”  God’s response in verse seventeen confirmed what Moses wanted to hear when God replied, “I am pleased with you and I know you by name.”

     I am moved to love Moses even more because he responded to Almighty God with a bold statement, “Now show me your glory.”  I imagine in today’s language his words may read something like this:

LORD, if you’re not going, do not bother sending us. If you do not go with us, how will anybody know that we belong to you? What makes me and what makes us different from the rest of the world, if you are not with us? So LORD, show me your glory!

     The remainder of that chapter describes God’s intention to put Moses in the safety of the cleft of the rock as he passes by in order that Moses may see His glory. Wow! Moses asked. God answered. The Bible reveals that the two of them had an intimate relationship like few described in the Word of God.

     These Scriptures give me security in knowing that I can also have that kind of relationship with my Heavenly Father. He knows me by name. I can know Him. When I cry out LORD, don’t send me if you are not going with me, He hears. I want Him to go with me so the world will know that I belong to Him. I am sure you do too.
 
     It is important to remember that Moses sought to know God and to be pleasing to God. In Exodus 33:13 we find Moses speaking these words, “If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you.” Yes, Moses wanted to see the glory of God, but I believe more importantly, Moses wanted to know God and to serve God in such a way that he would find favor in God’s eyes.

     So today let’s take a bold step of faith. Let’s seek to know God intimately. Let’s live so the people around us will know that we desire to please God. Then, let’s look upward toward the face of the Father and expect a response as we ask, “LORD show me your glory!”

No comments:

Post a Comment