Friday, January 25, 2013

Never Orphaned


John 14:18  NIV
“I will not leave you as orphans;
 I will come to you.”
 
        

            My father died in 1983. In 1998, my sister and I sat on the bed’s edge holding our mother’s hands as she drew her last breath. As if scripted, we looked at each other and said, “We are orphans”.  At that moment, it seemed as though someone had reached deep into my inner being and scooped it out leaving only emptiness and sorrow.

            The next days were filled with friends and family stopping by to bring food and condolences, and while they brought with them a shower of love and compassion, I felt no comfort. The ache in my heart continued to grow.

            My loss was greater than I could have imagined, and one night my husband commented, “I have lost a part of you, and I don’t know if I will ever get you back”. I realized that was exactly how I felt. I had lost a part of me; a part that I would never regain.

            Eventually, I remembered the promise Jesus made when speaking to His disciples about His upcoming departure. He promised to ask His Father to give another Counselor; the Holy Spirit. This meant that they would never be alone for the Holy Spirit would not only be with them but live in them. The pain of His departure would be great, but the comfort of His presence would be eternal.

            God’s Holy Spirit is not only Comforter but also the great reminder, and He continued to work in me. Every day He reminded me of the blessings in my life; husband, children, family and friends. Every day he pulled me a little closer to the Father until I found myself not only existing but actually enjoying life again. Every day he reminded me that I am never alone.

            Although my pain was great, and for a time I believed no comfort would come, as I look back over the years since mother died, I can see time after time when the Holy Spirit of God—the Comforter—brought counseling, comfort, and healing to my broken heart.

            You may have experienced similar hurts. You may feel orphaned or alone. You may feel as if no one understands. Let me assure you that Jesus loves you, and He understands.While it is possible to be without friend, father or mother in this life, in Christ we are not alone and never orphaned.




           
 
 
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment